Friday, May 9, 2014

May 2014 update & article on publishing a second collection in the new Poetry Ireland pamphlet

May has arrived already and, admittedly, I’ve been tardy in updating this blog, though far from idle since my last post in October. I marvel at bloggers who lead full lives and still manage to promulgate their thoughts regularly via social media, especially working parents – it is no joke! November was extremely busy with the Melbourne launch of my second book, In Between Angels and Animals, (a big thank you to everyone who attended and supported me) and poetry readings for Melbourne Knowledge Week, as well as a presentation of my research on the Irish harp for the Melbourne Irish Studies Seminar series. Then came the hectic but also welcome Christmas period with some much-needed R&R. In the new year, I changed jobs and began my new role teaching Poetry - Creative Writing with Professor Kevin Brophy at the University of Melbourne. What an enriching experience it is proving to be! I am enjoying the dialogue with my students as we explore and navigate the poetry universe. We are ranging widely: from sonnets, triolets, prose poems and villanelles to anti poetry and the poetry of everyday overlooked objects; from Elizabeth Bishop, Sharon Olds and Gwen Harwood to Charles Simic, Pablo Neruda and many others. Our theme this week was narrative poetry and next week we consider ekphrastic writing and then slam and spoken word. To say I am 'in my element' is a flagrant understatement! In a few weeks time, when the current semester ends, I hope to write a bit more about this unique pedagogical experience (the course encompasses both poetic theory and creative practice) and to reflect on particular moments during the workshops.
Earlier this year, on Saturday, 15 March, I was delighted to be a featured poet at the special monthly reading at Federation Square to celebrate International Womens Day. Thank you to organizer, Dimitri Troaditis for a memorable occasion. I met some wonderful sister poets at the event including Cece Ojany, Thalia and Avril Bradley. I also gave a somewhat impromptu, unexpected reading one Saturday afternoon at the legendary Dan O’Connell pub on Canning Street, famous for its Saturday 'Dan Poets' sessions. What a fun occasion that was with a great mixed grill of poetry lovers!

Having completed my second volume of poetry last year, (which is included in Syracuse University Press Spring 2014 catalogue and now available at the renowned ‘Collected Works’ bookshop in Melbourne), I’ve been reflecting on my poetic practice and the journey which has brought me to this point. I recently penned some of those thoughts into a feature article entitled ‘A Flock of Anxieties: Publishing a Second Collection.’ My piece has just been published in Poetry Ireland’s inaugural pamphlet, Trumpet. See more info below. The essay is also available to read now in the 'Feature Articles' section of Poetry Ireland's website


'Trumpet' is Poetry Ireland's new literary pamphlet, containing reviews, essays, articles and poems. The first issue reviews books by Iggy McGovern, Billy Ramsell and Dawn Wood, among others, has essays by  Mark Granier on Writing the Short Poem and Emily Cullen on Writing a Second Collection, and includes poems from Francis Harvey and Dairena Ní Chinnéide, among others.

'Trumpet' will come out four times a year and retails for €2 in shops or online, but is available gratis to subscribers to Poetry Ireland Review.

The old PI News is being phased out, as all our event information is available on our website, and is also included in this regular Monday e-zine.

Issue 1 of 'Trumpet' is available to download for free here

No comments:

Post a Comment